Tuesday, July 31, 2012

By the Numbers...

I mentioned yesterday that I might start tracking some things, but I wasn't sure how much I was willing to share on the big, bad interwebs. I've thought about it...and since one of my goals in this car-less adventure is increased exercise and overall health, I believe I WILL track these statistics. If anyone is interested in possibly making a lifestyle change of this magnitude, I want to be able to share ALL of the information that might help someone make an informed choice. (Well, I suppose if someone wants to make an informed choice they should do more than rely on one blog...but, nevertheless: full disclosure!)

So, I plan to track on here:
*Monetary expenses, including savings AND expenditures, to get a net savings result. Bikes are definitely cheaper than cars, but they DO entail expenses...I want to be fully honest about what goes into owning and operating a bike for regular (or semi-regular) commuting.
*Health statistics, including weight lost, and my cholesterol level. Also, I will likely discuss some things that are not easily measured, like how I feel in general, and how my medical issues are improving (or not).

So, here are the starting stats:
7/16 weight: 198.3
Cholesterol level: 216

Yesterday's check-in:
Weight: 196.7
Miles ridden: 24

I don't plan on getting my cholesterol checked for another few months, so we'll have to see about that.  Also, I will happily post inches lost as I go along, but I just can't bring myself to post those numbers, for some reason. A gal's gotta have some secrets, I suppose. :-)

That's all for today! Coming up in future posts: information about the electric assist, tips on products that have been helpful, and certainly more stories about inconsiderate wildlife.

(Also, if anyone is considering bike commuting and would like to ask any questions, please feel free to do so! I will try to answer any questions I can.)

2 comments: