Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lessons Learned, Chapter 1

So, we have lived here for about 9 days now, and I have already learned some lessons the hard way. I was fully expecting this, of course. So...here are two of the lessons I've learned so far.

Lesson #1: When you are commuting by bike instead of by car, it is about 10 times more important that you remember every bit of paperwork you might need BEFORE leaving the house. Learned this one the hard way today, when we went to the bank to open up a checking account. We forgot (a) something showing our change of address and (b) Don's ID. And there's no "quick, I'll drive back to the house while you get the paperwork started" when you're doing this by bike. So...the bank will have to wait another day.
Such a small piece of paper caused such big trouble...
Lesson #2: When you are depending on electric assist, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT forget to charge your battery...ESPECIALLY when you just moved to a place that is very hilly. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a bike with electric assist. Because of multiple health issues, I rely on this quite heavily in order to not keel over midway through a ride. Of course, electric assist is helpful only if the electric is working, and the electric is working only if the battery is charged, and the battery is charged only if the person using it remembers to charge it. The person in this scenario would be me, and, uh...I forgot to charge the battery. This is what I believe they call "user error." 
I shall never neglect you again, my friend.
If you would like to know more about the results of said battery-less journey, feel free to consult my husband, who I am sure would love to tell you about how I could barely pedal up the tiniest of hills, and how I looked to be near-death the whole journey. I never fully realized just how helpful this little guy is, even when I'm not pushing the button so I can sail past Don and Malcolm on a hill while laughing mockingly.

So, there you go...two lessons learned in just over a week!  And I haven't even started my PhD program yet.


3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the mental picture of you flying past Don and Malcolm "while laughing mockingly." I envy you this journey. I wish I could be brave enough to become a bike commuter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's not so much an issue of bravery in my circumstance so much as necessity; we just couldn't afford to keep the car. But...I can reassure you that it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I feared riding AT ALL two years ago, and now it's my primary mode of transportation! Seriously, if *I* can do it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, no electric assist with the extra weight from the electric assist would suck going up hill!

    ReplyDelete