Friday, August 17, 2012

"Final" Thoughts on Busing, and a Happy Welcome Home

First of all, another random thought: why is "busing" spelled with only one s? Wouldn't that seem to make it pronounced "boo-sing?" Or maybe "byoo-sing" - you know, to rhyme with "musing." Only that's more of a z-sound and not an s-sound, but...whatever.  Wade?

My days of riding a bus are by no means over, but I thought I'd offer a few parting thoughts as I won't be riding it as much for a while. Oh, why's that, you ask?  BECAUSE I GOT RUBY BACK!  (Umm...yes, Ruby's my bike. And yes, I named my bike.  And YES, I realize "Ruby" is a really obvious name for a red bike.)

Welcome home, my love.
I have to say (and YES, I realize I use that phrase a lot) - I am surprised at how much I missed my bike and how much I loved getting her - I mean, it - back. But more on that later.

This morning, I was prepared to take the bus everywhere I needed to go, as I thought my bike was still going to be in the shop for awhile. So, I took the bus over to University City Boulevard and I deposited a check, dropped off a package at the post office, purchased a few things from Kroger, and grabbed some lunch at Panera. I then took the bus back to campus before going over to get my bike. This morning's ride brought about a few more observations about bus riding:

  1. There is definitely a better "side" of the bus to sit on depending on whether I'm take the route to campus, or I'm taking it back home.  The route to campus has the bus taking all right turns, so sitting on the driver's side of the bus is better. On the way home, the bus takes all left turns, so it is better to sit on the opposite side of the driver. Why?  Because if you sit on those sides, the <insert fancy physics term here> force keeps you in your seat, and you don't have to dig in your heels or grab the seat in order to not fall off of it. Now, these tips are only applicable to my particular route, but...if you decide to ride the bus, I highly recommend scoping out this sort of thing to avoid falling on your face in front of a bunch of strangers. (Unless you ride my bus...then by all means, fall on your face...it will take the pressure off of me.)
  2. People will wait as long as possible for someone else to pull the yellow "stop requested" thing. I know this, because that is precisely what I did. I finally panicked that I would miss my stop and pulled the yellow thing about 20 feet from the stop. Because of this, I fully expected to be the only one getting off, but NOOOOOO...about 15 people got off at that stop.  Seriously, people?

I'm sure I will have plenty more observations on bus riding as the semester moves forward, but for now...on to happy news:

I GOT MY BIKE BACK!

Very exciting indeed. The bike shop left a message for me last night saying the work would be done by Saturday, Sunday at the latest, which was already earlier than I was expecting.  THEN they called me this morning to say "hey, it will be ready this afternoon." I nearly cheered out loud, I was so gleeful. Then, on the way home I pedaled with great joy and just smiled at everyone and everything with this big dopey grin. I even shared my joy with the mocking duck.

You won't get off so easy next time, pal.

I was - and still am! - so happy to have my bike back. I was so excited to ride again, I didn't even use the motor on the way home! Seriously, people...do you realize how big this is?  If you are someone reading this right now who is thinking, "I could never commute by bike!" Well...that was me three years ago. Heck, that was me just a few months ago! I entered this car-less living situation kicking and screaming, and now I'm gleefully happy to be riding my bike...so I'm certain the same could happen for you. Yes, it could. Yes it could. YES IT COULD!

I was so excited to have it back that I even went out on another ride with the boys this evening. Did you hear that? I went out on an EXTRA ride JUST FOR FUN. WILLINGLY.

This is the start of something new, my friends.

3 comments:

  1. Re: Bus as a verb. Although bus seems to have been used as a verb back to the early 19th century, it hasn't been consistently conjugated. Originally even the the simple verb was 'buss', (like to give someone a kiss, I guess?), but latter became bus, but 'bussing'. The examples they give at the end of the 1960s (in discussing desegregation) appear to be when it started appearing as 'busing'. So, blame the drugs of the 60s? More interesting, I think, is that 'bus' itself is from the latin phrase 'ominibus', meaning 'for all'. So 'bus' has no independent latin meaning, it was just the proper ending to the dative plural form of 'omnis' = all.

    As long as I'm musing about etymology of transportation form, I've always been impressed with the words 'taxi' and 'cab', since they are both shortened forms of the phrase 'taximeter cabriolet'... the taximeter being the machine that measures movement, and cabriolet a holdover from the horse-drawn two wheel carriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find it amusing that we appear to have started a spin-off sub-blog about "Wade paraphrases interesting etymologies from the OED", and that you do the handoffs like a news anchor handing off to a weatherman or sports reporter... Back to you, Tana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Wade. *insert fake anchor laugh* Always great to hear your interesting information! Be sure to join us next time, folks. Good night, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete